Snow Chains

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Hello Rodney, I would definitely suggest you carry snow chains, you will be driving high in the mountains and the weather conditions can change very quickly, hopefully there will be a lot of snow in March!! I would also advise you look into snow tyres and make sure you know how to apply the snow chains. If the road conditions are particularly bad, the police will be performing roadside checks and if you are unprepared they will not let you continue your journey. The mountain pass from France can be particularly snowy and is very windy, ensure you are prepared from the start of your journey. Most reputable garages stock snow chains, perhaps also look at picking up a shovel, they can be very handy in case you have to dig the car out. Drive carefully :)
    • Hi Rodney,

Unless the weather is particularly severe the roads will generally always be passable until Ax-les-Thermes (about 25km from Andorra), however the mountain pass starts after Ax-les-Thermes and if the weather is bad as Sarah says this road can be particularly trecherous and I wouldn't attempt it without snow chains unless you are 100% certain the road is clear. The very last place you can buy snow chains prior to Andorra is L'Hospitalet pres - l'Andorre however I wouldn't rely on this as it is a very small place and depending on what time your passing shops may be closed.

Emma
    • The roads are clear at the moment, but new snow forecast for the weekend and Monday so it depends on when you're coming.

Never plan to put chains on in a particular place, but just see how the weather is on your journey. With chains on you've got to drive really slowly, plus you'll lose grip if you put chains on when there's no snow.

On the road up from Hospitalet there are pull-in areas where you can stop to put chains on so it's not the last place to get them on if needed.

Hope this helps!
    • Hi,

Thanks for the fast reply.

I will be arriving on Saturday during day time. I will take your advice and put the chains on if needed. Actually the information that there are pull-offs where this operation can be performed was actually what I wanted to hear.