snow!

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Hi,

Welcome to the forum!

It's a bit of both really, we had a few good snow falls early in November which gave a bit of a base for the snow cannons to work on, however most of what you see on the webcams at the moment is natural snow. Generally it is more to do with temperature and as long as the temperatures remain consistently low enough then snowmaking is possible, allowing the mountain company to top up the existing base. Grandvalira has 60% of it's skiable area covered by snow cannons so are fairly well prepared should the natural snowfall be a bit sparse at times.

Hope that helps.

Emma :D
    • Looking at the snow levels in andorra compared to the rest of europe will there be fine skiing in the 2nd week of jan. first time skiing in andorra as usually booked up to ski in france or italy! im a bit worried by what i see and the temperatures given. i read its hard to tell but when does the snowfall usually dump and make the mountain ski-able? any infomation would be appreciated

thanks guys
    • Grandvalira Pas de la Casa and Encamp have both partially opened today, there are seven runs open in total and six lifts.

Whilst it is nice to have early snow in December and we usually do, it is not completely abnormal for the snow to be sparse until late December, in all fairness it is a bit early to start panicking as the season does not really kick off until christmas week and they have already started opening the slopes in several parts of Andorra this week. Some years they manage to get the slopes open early and others they don't, it only takes one big dump of the white stuff for the picture to change completely and we have a few weeks until we desperately need that yet. However we'll keep the snow dances going for you guys :D
    • current situation

hi,

A group of friends and I are travelling out early next year and we have been closely monitoring the weather conditions.
      I have been on numerous sites and I seem to be getting different answers!

has the snowfall in recent days been significantly heavier than anything else this winter? are they making snow?

thanks!
    • Hi Bluefish,

Yes the snowfall in recent days has been significantly more than we have had in recent weeks and months, it started snowing on Friday and hasn't stopped yet, it has varied from light snowfall to very heavy snowfall at varying points over the last few days. It was very cold over the weekend but has not been so harsh today. Grandvalira have been making artificial snow constantly to top up the good layer of artificial snow we now have.

Emma :D