French or Spanish mobile network coverage

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• French or Spanish mobile network coverage

Hi, will be visiting Andorra for a Ski holiday shortly and very concerned about being able to stay in touch re sick relatives at home who only have a landline and thus can't use Skype/VOIP/WiFi based solutions.

I see the local Andorra mobile phone network is very expensive either via a local SIM or with mobile roaming charges of £1/min or more with UK network providers. I wonder whether there is coverage at some points from the French or Spanish networks which would benefit from EU roaming charges which are very much lower (e.g. 15p/min)? Even if these were only available from set locations on the slopes, it might be possible to call home when there and set the mobile manually to use that specific network.

Alternatively, are there still phone cards which offer low rates to call the UK from Andorra from a landline?

Appreciate any advice or experience.

TIA

Wallport
    • You can get the odd bit of French signal in Pas de la Casa but unreliable and a weak signal. Across in Soldeu you won't get either French or Spanish signal, only Andorra Telecom. This is usually very expensive for UK mobiles to roam on.

I'd suggest adding the Skype app to your mobile, then you can call home from your mobile using the Skype app when connected to wifi. You can get wifi around the mountain and also in lots of bars around the village in Soldeu.

Steve

PS. if you're staying in Soldeu take a look at our Soldeu website and forum.

Many thanks for this - can't rely on the French/Spanish networks by the sound of it so will investigate Skype. Need a reliable call quality though and Hotel wifi can be a bit iffy, is there any really reliable place you can get wifi free? if not what are the pay options?

TIA

Wallport

Thanks Steve. 30 euros is a bit much so intend to try Skype calls to landline (trial package). If that fails may have to buy into a local SIM.

Your information has been very helpful in planning this.

Wallport