Gluten free !!

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Gluten free !!

Hi !
      Sorry if this is a lengthy post !!

We're heading off to Pas in Feb for the first time in many years so really looking forward to see how much as changed (if at all). Anyway my query is to do with the fact that my wife has Coeliac Disease which means she can't eat anything with wheat, oats, barley etc - it is called a gluten free diet.
      We are fortunate that my wife's sister lives in Canada so since her diagnosis we have done our skiing there & stocking up on gluten free foods has been fairly easy as my sister-in-law has got it beforehand. Also North America is fairly well clued up on Coeliac Disease so most restaurants have some gluten free dishes on the menu.

We'll be bringing some gluten free pasta, bread & pizza bases etc with us but are looking for any advice on whether there are any "Coeliac friendly" places in Pas ?

My daughter was in mainland Spain last year & said the supermarkets were well stocked with gluten free stuff (I know it's sad but you have to do these things when there is a Coeliac in the family) but I know the stock/choices will be far more limited in Pas so (& this is a long shot) can anyone recommend a shop in Pas to pick up any gluten free stuff while we are there ??

Thanks
    • Hi Pat

Hopefully someone will be able to get back to you with a good answer :?: :?:
      But as I don't have any intolerances it's not something I have ever looked for ?(
      For sure in Andorra la Vella you would be able to get bits as the supermarkets as big there, in Pas there are lots of them but all smallish ones. Make sure you bring the bits you mentioned with you that way you'll feel calmer incase you don't find a great choice in the resort supermarkets.

:)
    • The Pyrenees supermarket in Andorra La Vella has a "free from" section with bread/pasta/cakes/biscuits etc. There's a smaller Pyrenees supermarket in Pas but I've never looked in there for a "free from" section although I would presume there is because it's a fairly big supermarket, and I would say that's your best bet if anywhere in Pas has one.
    • Thanks for the replies - it's good to know that there'll be some products available !

Most "Express" or "Metro" versions of supermarkets in the UK now have at least a small supply of "free-from" foods so we'll head for where you've suggested when we arrive.

Another question - could you recommend any friendly English speaking pizza bars as what we often do in the UK is take a few gluten free bases out with us & we get them to make up and cook a pizza for my wife. Also far more places also offer gluten free pasta as well so we could, from your recommendations check if they have a website & menu.

Fortunately my wife is a lot more sophisticated than me & prefers wine rather than beer so we don't need to ask about gluten free ales !!!

Pat :)
    • You'll find that most places will speak or attempt to speak English because it's all geared up for tourists here and quite a few places have some British staff. I've had great pizzas from Marselles, and that's very popular with Brits.

Estrella is one of the most local beers served just about everywhere here as it comes from Barcelona, and funnily enough they make the only gluten free lager I've every seen, called Daura. Although I've not seen it in bars they normally have it in the supermarket.